Digital Book 2013 News
IDPF Digital Book 2013 Reveals an All-Star Lineup
Otis Chandler, Malcolm Gladwell, and More Join Top-Notch Speaker Roster
New York, NY, May 8, 2013 – From May 29-30, 2013, the best minds in digital publishing will convene in the Javits Center in New York City for the highly-anticipated, perennially sold-out at IDPF Digital Book 2013 conference (http://idpf.org/db13). This year’s theme, Advancing Publishing in a Digital World, has already drawn an enormous crowd, with seats expected to sell out soon.
Some featured speakers and session insights include:
· Otis Chandler, Co-founder and CEO of Goodreads will share an update and tackle questions from the crowd, including: what’s next for Goodreads now that it’s owned by Amazon? What does the recent sale mean for the 17 million members, 530 million books and 23 million reviews?
· Malcolm Gladwell, bestselling author and staff writer for The New Yorker will speculate on the digital future with Brad Stone, Bloomberg Businessweek writer and author of the upcoming The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
· Paul Aiken, Executive Director of the Authors Guild, will speak out for his constituents in the sale versus licensing digital content controversy, sharing the stage with the other side, John Ossenmacher of ReDigi, moderated by former Tools of Change icon, Joe Wikert
· Allen Lauof Wattpad, Kristen McLean of Bookigee and Anne Kubek of INscribe Digital will enrich the audience with tips on how to engage deeper with readers
· Sylvia Dayand Jennifer Armentrout will reveal their secrets on how to be a successful and bestselling hybrid author
· Paul Belfanti (Pearson), Kent Freeman (VitalSource), Evan St. Lifer (Scholastic), Daniel Fountenberry (Borne Digital), Rebecca Tomasini (The Alvo Institute), Ken Brooks (Cengage), Diana Rhoten (Amplify) and more digital education pioneers will show us what 21st century learning platforms and classrooms should really look like and why
· Steve Potash(OverDrive), Jeff Jaffe (World Wide Web Consortium) and John Wheeler (SPi Global) will cover the open web platform, EPUB 3 and HTML 5, while Markus Gylling (DAISY) and Bill Kasdorf (Apex CoVantage) will share the latest EPUB 3 developments and features and Liz Castro (Author) will put them into action
· Chris Kitchenerof Adobe and Steve Matteson of Monotype will explore how to enhance a reader’s experience through typography and fonts
· Eve Hill (Department of Justice), George Kerscher (DAISY and 2013 Presidential Appointee) and Robin Seaman (Benetech) will cover accessibility in the digital world
The stacked lineup continues with speakers from Random House, HarperCollins, Google, Barnes and Noble, and more. (http://idpf.org/digital-book-2013/speakers)
Enriching the two-day conference are three different tracks with focuses on business and marketing, technology and production, and education/STM publishing, as well as diverse plenary sessions. Debuting for the first time this year is a Solutions Showcase, complete with not-to-be-missed lightning demonstrations of promising digital start-ups.
No other publishing conference provides such practical strategies, technical expertise and actionable insights that you can use immediately and successfully. Registration remains open but the IDPF Digital Book Conference sells out every year. Register today at: http://idpf.org/db13. Paid admission to IDPF Digital Book 2013 includes free admission to the BookExpo America trade showand exhibit hall, including the Digital Discovery Zone by IDPF.
Tweet this: The #DigitalBook13 lineup just keeps getting better. @otown @bradstone, @bookexpoamerica @billmccoy @digibookworld http://ow.ly/kQXD8
IDPF Digital Book 2013 sponsors include SPi Global (Diamond), Apex CoVantage, Ingram Content Group, Monotype, OverDrive (Platinum), Aptara, Attributor, Datalogics, Metrodigi, ZOO Digital (Gold), BookBaby, Copia, Gutenberg Technology, and INscribe Digital (Silver), Good E-Reader and Publishers Weekly (Media), and Book Industry Study Group and Digital Book World (Associate).
IDPF Announces Theme and Speakers for Digital Book 2013: Advancing Publishing in a Digital World
Highly Anticipated Conference to take place May 29-30 in New York City
Diamond Sponsor: SPi Global
Platinum Sponsors: Apex CoVantage, Ingram Content Group, Monotype, OverDrive
New York, NY, April 2, 2013 –The International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) announced today the preliminary program and speakers for Digital Book 2013 (idpf.org/db13). The conference, held in partnership with BookExpo America (BEA), will be held May 29-30, 2013 in New York City’s Javits Center. This event is expected to draw over 1200 global leaders in the publishing industry, including technologists, marketers, retailers, solution providers, publishers, authors, agents, programmers, educators, government official and librarians.
IDPF Digital Book, the world’s longest-established executive and professional conference focused on digital publishing, will provide attendees with the opportunity to network with trailblazers and leaders in the digital publishing industry through keynote sessions, expert panels and in-depth demonstrations. Attendees will gain actionable insights into the accelerating digital transformation of the book publishing industry, and will receive the necessary tools to achieve success during this time of tremendous evolution. In line with the swift industry changes is this year’s conference theme: Advancing Publishing in a Digital World.
The final program is still under development but featured speakers include the following experts: Chantal Restivo-Alessi (HarperCollins), Michael Tamblyn (Kobo), Jeff Jaffe (W3C), Paul Belfanti (Pearson), Roger Webster (Barnes and Noble), Matt MacInnis (Inkling), Ken Brooks (Cengage Learning), Samantha Cohen (Simon & Schuster), Dominique Raccah (SourceBooks), Hugh McGuire (PressBrooks), Josh Schanker (BookBub), Pip Tannenbaum (Parragon), Nicole Passage (Open Road Media), Sanj Kharbanda (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), Liisa McCloy-Kelley (Random House), Richard Nash (Small Demons), Laura Hazard Owen (paidContent/GigaOM), Sanders Kleinfeld (O’Reilly Media), Mark Ury (Storybird), Phil Sexton (F+W Media), Micah Bowers (Bluefire), Liz Castro (author and noted EPUB 3 expert), Marc Aronson, Ph.D (Core Curriculum expert) and many more. Special guest keynote speakers will be announced soon.
“eBooks have become a major line of business for almost every publisher, but we've only reached the second inning of the ongoing transition of the book business. ” said Bill McCoy, Executive Director, IDPF. “As digital reading by consumers is moving from text-only e-Reader devices to tablets and smartphones - it's a whole new game. Readers are only a click away and to succeed, publishers must evolve to take advantage of new capabilities. New types of content that may include illustrations, publications for children, educational and professional content, should be scaled up in digital format. The traditional e-retail channels are no longer the gatekeeper: publishers and authors can engage directly and deeply with connected readers. Challenges are immense as the nature of the digital book is changing with apps and websites as well as eBooks, and new competition looms with app and game developers.”
IDPF Digital Book 2013 will cover the broadening spectrum of business, marketing, technology, and operation issues for content creators who need to optimize their businesses for the current eBook environment, and more importantly will help them advance to the next level. IDPF Digital Book 2013 will provide publishing executives and professionals critical tools and up-to-the-minute context, presented by industry leading speakers and panelists.
Topics include: The Evolving Digital Book, Digital Publishing in Transition, The Open Web Platform, From Textbooks to Learning Platforms (Implications for Early Education Publishers), The Changing Role of Authors, Enhanced Illustrated Digital Books, In-Sourcing vs Outsourcing, Best Practices, Reader Engagement, Selling vs. Licensing, Reading Systems, K-12 Content and Adapting to Early Learners, and much more. The preliminary program and preliminary speaker list is available at idpf.org/db13.
Paid admission to IDPF Digital Book 2013 includes free admission to the BookExpo America trade show and exhibit hall, including the Digital Discovery Zone by IDPF. Early bird rates are in effect through May 1, 2013. Registration is available at an incredible rate: $389 ($259 for IDPF members / $329 non-profits). To register, please visit: http://idpf.org/db13. Follow event updates on Twitter @digitalbook13.
IDPF Digital Book 2013 sponsors include SPi Global (Diamond), Apex CoVantage, IngramContent Group, Monotype, OverDrive (Platinum), Aptara, Attributor, Datalogics, Zoo Digital (Gold), BookBaby, Copia, Gutenberg Technology, and INscribe Digital (Silver), Book Industry Study Group (Associate) and Publishers Weekly (Media). Limited sponsorship opportunities are still available – contact Wendy Erman Wels at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
About the International Digital Publishing Forum
The International Digital Publishing Forum(IDPF) is a non-profit trade and standards organization for the digital publishing industry with a membership of over 300 companies and organizations from 35 different countries. IDPF is responsible for the EPUB 3 open standard interchange and delivery format for digital books and publications as well as related technical information to promote the development and growth of the global digital publishing market. Proceeds from Digital Book 2013 conference directly support the organization’s mission and work. Further information about the IDPF, including membership options, can be obtained by visiting idpf.org. EPUB and EPUB 3 are registered trademarks of IDPF.