Fixed Layout and Liquid EPUB3

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello,
I have seen a PDF document from IDPF (http://idpf.org/sites/default/files/digital-book-conference/presentation...)
where I read that EPUB 3 fixed layout is done but EPUB 3 liquid is not.

This document is dated in 2012 so I don't know if there are news about this topic.

So, my main question is about the different kinds of EPUB3, what kinds of EPUB3 exist?
- EPUB3 fixed layout
- EPUB3 liquid
- EPUB3 interactive books

What are the main differences between them?? or their main features??
is there some kind more??

Regards

To try and break them down:

• An interactive ebook typically is boiled down to one that is scripted, but the term itself generally refers to the ability for any form of user interaction with the content -- drag/drop, quizzes, forms, interactable 2d/3d images, etc.
  • A fixed layout document is a content document that represents a single page with fixed dimensions, allowing, for example, content to be absolutely positioned on top (i.e., no dynamic pagination or reflowing of the content, no matter the screen size).
  • Liquid layouts (or adaptive layouts) refer to page templates, where you can patition up a page and content gets flowed into the regions (e.g., you could have a call-out area in the center and a two-column layout).

An interactive book is just a concept, and as EPUB 3 supports scripting it supports interactive ebooks.

Fixed layouts require actual metadata to create, and EPUB also supports those (and fixed layouts are supported to varying degress in the major reading systems). You can read the FXL spec for more info, but in 3.0.1 this metadata has been integrated into the core specs.

There is also a specification for adaptive layouts, but I don't believe anyone supports them and I'm not sure if or when they will be in the future.

Secondary menu