Error vs Warning

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

New here, so I apologize if this has already been brought up!

If I am only getting WARNINGS and no ERRORS, does this mean my ePub is good to go? Additionally, all the warnings I get are 'Premature end of grammar (expecting: :)' which I have no clue how to amend via Calibre.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Whether you should ignore warnings depends on the message. Typically warnings are just alerting you to a recommended, but not required, practice.

In this case, however, what epubcheck is alerting you to is malformed inline CSS declarations. If you look at the source, you'll probably find properties with no values, so something like this:

<span style="width">...</span>

The above is invalid since there's no width value specified, so epubcheck emits the warning you got that the grammar ended prematurely without a colon or value. You'll undoubtedly find something similar in your source XHTML.

Leaving these malformed styles in your document likely won't affect the appearance, since malformed CSS is normally dropped during rendering, but it's still a good idea to get this kind of cruft out.

Whether your book is good to go depends on what you're planning to do with it. If you're going to sell through distributors, some allow warnings and others don't. Another reason to strive for the cleanest source files you can get.

Hope this helps.

Secondary menu