EPUB Reading System conformance test suite project kicks off
The IDPF today makes an initial call for participation in a new EPUB conformance test suite project. This newly started open source project is developing materials and methods for the evaluation of feature coverage in EPUB Reading Systems. The goal is to develop a testing paradigm that is comprehensive, objective, and tests all the features in EPUB 3 and its dependent Web Standards that are relevant to content creators. A means to publicly communicate results is also envisioned.
- a collection of EPUB documents that comprise an extensive set of tests for both required and optional Reading System functionality and features
- a documented process for executing the tests and compiling results
- a web service for the submission, storage and comparison of results
- The IDPF EPUB 3 Samples open source project will be a primary source for testfiles for the IDPF EPUB Reading System conformance test suite. However, these vetted samples are intended to showcase best authoring practices, so may not in all cases be suitable as conformance test elements, and correspondingly not all test files will make good samples, but these projects will aim to maximize alignment.EPUB 3 Samples open source project
- The IDPF Readium open source EPUB 3 renderer will be a primary initial testbed for the EPUB Reading System conformance test suite, and we may consider measures to optimize automation of testing of Readium. But the EPUB Reading System conformance test suite will be designed to work on any EPUB 3 Reading System, not just Readium.
- BISG EPUB 3 Support Grid: IDPF expects that detailed systematic test results will complement and inform higher-level information about EPUB 3 feature support that BISG is reporting via the EPUB 3 Support Grid. IDPF will continue to be contribute to this activity through the BISG Content Structure Committee, and BISG has volunteered to become involved in the development and potentially hosting of the web service for the submission, storage and comparison of results.